by Jund Rian A. Doringo
From 2010 to present, the Technology Application and Promotion Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST-TAPI) cited that students with entrepreneurial intentions were interested in agriculture.
This is based on the completed student projects under the DOST-Academe Technology-Based Enterprise Development (DATBED) Program implemented by DOST-TAPI.
The Production of Multi-Purpose Indigenous Electronic LED Lampshade by the Cagayan State University in Lasam is one of DATBED’s assisted projects
DATBED develops entrepreneurial competencies of students by supporting income-generating projects that are not yet tested in the market, have high market potential, and possess technical viability when commercialized.
“Through this program, we hope to shape the future entrepreneurs with their technology-based enterprises,” said Atty. Marion Ivy D. Decena, Officer-in-Charge of DOST-TAPI.
Composed of two stages, Stage I supports income-generating projects that are not yet tested in the market while Stage II continues to assist DATBED Stage I graduate-beneficiaries for the commercialization of their Stage I projects.
Eleven completed student projects under the program since 2010 have successfully implemented agricultural techno-prenuership which aims to promote sustainable farming, improved agricultural productivity, and resourceful agricultural innovations.
Specifically, the projects presented agricultural solutions on manufacturing organic fertilizers, producing mushrooms, processing of cacao to products, reinventing indigenous agricultural materials.
“We have provided comprehensive support requirements to the students in materializing their projects through a form of financial assistance,” said Mylene A. Alano, DATBED Program Manager.
Mostly from the Cagayan Valley Region, the completed projects under the program are as follows:
- Organic Fertilizer Manufacture and Marketing
- Organic Banana Fruit Production
- Production of Organic Vegetables using Vermicompost and Citronella in Coconut and Cacao Livestock Integrated Farming System
- Mushroom Production
- Coconut Flour and Virgin Coconut Oil Production
- Feedlot Cattle Production and Marketing
- Processing of Cacao into Tablea, Cocoa Nibs
- Coconut Livestock Integrated Production
- Production of Multi-Purpose Indigenous Electronic LED Lampshade
- Technopreneurship through Production and Nursery Management of Disease Free Banana Seedlings
- Manufacturing of Togue (Vigna radiate) Fresh Pancit
For more information on the DATBED Guidelines Stage I, please visit this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ofpd0jN9ixGXBLTUiRxjv5T1wIejP70H/view while for more information on the DATBED Guidelines Stage II, please visit this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LhrgQSF4zxwtpx-ZgxYPN4WBgZGo95Dh/view